February 8, 2009

Lost Art of Witty Insult

jpgpinklady I have persuaded Redstocking Grandma to retire. For the time being her blog will remain up, although many of the posts will be moved to my blog. Some of the posts are inappropriate If I transfer them and close down the blog, I lose the comments. If I close down the account, I lose all my private correspondence--another reason not to use OS messaging in the future.

Check out Revolution for a Family-Friendly America. My avatar is shown above. I once was a an excellent and ambitous student, derailed by complicting expectations of women. I went to Fordham University the year before they formally accepted woman and was almost always the only woman in her political science class and the best student. I was planning to get a Ph.D in political science at Stanford; I had a five-year free ride. But my finace was back in New York, and I couldn't handle it. I was ashamed of myself and blamed it on political science trying to

I have only made love to my two husbands, but arguing and debating with men is a great substitute for promiscuity and adultery. All my life Elizabeth had been more appreciated by men than by women. All my shrinks have been men.

If you practice amateur psychiatry, you will never hear from me. again. If you do it on comments on Pride and Prejudice, you will regret it. Lizzy resents people worrying about her. That too often is code for "you are cracking up because I don't like you anymore." My psychiatrist of 12 years is dubious about turning over his duties to Open Salon. Functioning as someone's psychiatrist without as license or permission needs to be discussed with your psychiatrist.

I am dedicated to combatting psychiatric abuse. I believe no mental illness can be effectively treated without treating the whole family. The "identified patient" is not necessarily the family member with the greatest pathology.I am passionately committed to saving children from premature psychiatric diagnoses and medication with drugs never tested on children and still being proved unsafe for adults.

I understand manic depressives get lots of support if they present themselves as guilt-ridden, shame-filled, apologetic patients who have ruined the lives of their spouses, siblings, and chiildren. But if they question the conventional wisdom about bipolar disorder that people have so gullibly swallowed, people back away.

From age 23 to 30 I edited world famous psychiatrist,a ll incredibly well educated, cultured intellectuals. They rarely used drugs. The American Journal of Psychiatry did not have drug ads. Psychoanalytic approaches still were the dominant treatment. I spent five days at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association in 2004. The drug reps have a vastly superior general education than the younger psychiatrists. They are also the most beautiful, charming, sexy, delightful, witty people on earth. The drug companies were almost totally in control. I had 15 delicious meals totally free; all I had to do is ignore the shills for the sponsoring company's newest miracle drug.

Revolution for a Family-Friendly Society is a much safer place for Elizabeth Bennet. You might not feel the same way:) But I am just as committed a revolution to create a family-friendly society. I am still the oldest of six brothers, the mother of 4 daughters, the grandmother of three babies, the aunt of 11 nieces and nephews, the oldest of 45 first cousins. I am a lifelong feminist pacifist, way to the left of the Democratic Party. I am raised Roman Catholic and except for ten years between leaving home and my first daughter's birth, I have believe in God, but am dubious about churches. I seem to have found a home in the Episcopal Church. I prefer churches whose national leader is a woman.

Jane's Last Post. I awkwardly copied and pasted the excellent comments.

I wondered how people used to insult one another publicly when words like fuck, cunt, fucktard, poofter, fag weren't options. The Times of London was illuminating.

" Winston Churchill...seems to have spent every spare waking moment being rude to somebody. (“Winston,” said the Conservative statesman F.E. Smith, “had devoted the best years of his life to preparing his impromptu speeches”.) Clement Attlee, the man who interrupted his reign as Prime Minister, probably got it worse than most. “A sheep in sheep's clothing,” Churchill said of him. And also, “A modest man with much to be modest about.”

Not that the great man was fussy. He'd be rude to pretty much anyone. “There but for the grace of God goes God,” was his memorable verdict on Sir Stafford Cripps, but his best ever may have been when an aide knocked on his toilet door and told him that the Lord Privy Seal wanted to see him. “Tell the Lord Privy Seal I am sealed in my privy, and can only deal with one shit at a time,” said Churchill. He'd probably been waiting to trot that one out for years."

"The golden age was probably the Victorian era, when, as any casual student of history will tell you, William Gladstone and Benjamin Disraeli faced each other across the dispatch box for about 100 years.. .He has not a single redeeming defect,” said Disraeli, of his rival. And, better still, when asked to distinguish between a misfortune and a calamity: “If Gladstone fell into the Thames, that would be a misfortune. If anybody pulled him out, that, I suppose, would be a calamity.”

So much of the discourse on OS yesterday fell woefully short. Maybe every new member of OS needs a Dictionary of Quotations.

No comments: