December 18, 2005

Drums and Batons

Mom and Dad must have been dedicated to nurturing their children's unique gifts at whatever cost. That is the only explanation I can offer for allowing Santa to bring Richard a drum and me a baton.

We lived in a tiny two bedroom, one-story house. Was Richard allowed to play the drum inside? Richard has always assured me I beat him up regularly when he was too young to fight back. No one has ever verified this accusation, and this picture proves it must be false. If I regularly terrorized my brothers, surely Mom and Dad would not have given me such an effective weapon. Obviously this picture shows Richard had not a fear in the world that my baton would come in contact with his head or his drum.

On the other hand, I regularly asked forgiveness for hitting my brothers in confession. The priest should have been more skeptical about my resolution of never doing it again. But I used my hairbrush, not my baton.

No comments: